In this episode of The Microbiome Podcast, we talk with Dr. Andrew Gewirtz, a professor at Georgia State University.
The episode begins with David and William discussing a few recent news stories about the microbiome:
- (1:47) uBiome recently announced a citizen campaign on Indiegogo for dental microbiome sequencing. Learn more about the new campaign.
- (5:15) Synthetic Biologics announced positive results of a phase 1 clinical trial to prevent C. diff infection. Read about the clinical trial.
- (7:45) Evotec and Second Genome announced a collaboration to develop microbiome drugs together. Read about the collaboration.
In the conversation with Dr. Andrew Gewirtz (10:22) they discuss:
- Dr. Gewirtz’s research on metabolic syndrome, a term for conditions that are related to diabetes. Learn more about Dr. Gewirtz and his research.
- (13:38) His research on Toll-like receptor 5 and how it activates innate immunity in order to combat infectious agents. Read his paper in Science.
- (21:09) Emulsifiers and his most recent research that showed emulsifiers in food may lead to inflammatory diseases. Read the Nature paper. Read our blog post on the study.
- (32:33) If Dr. Gewirtz changed his diet as a result of the research and if supplement testing methods need to be changed.
- (39:19) Dr. Gewirtz’s alma matter the University of Albany and Georgia State University where he is a professor, two teams that made the NCAA tournament.
After the interview (42:50) William and David gave their own NCAA picks and make a friendly wager on their picks.